Saturday, August 29, 2009

My "Second Career" !

Designing and creating jewelry is Naked Jewelry's “second career”. She loves to design with techniques that create organic textures and finds it a privilege to use the precious metals and stones of the earth to create personal adornments that bring people happiness. Her Etsy shop offers many beautiful pieces http://www.nakedjewelry.etsy.com/ .

























Designing and creating jewelry is my “second career”. For 26 years, I co-owned a video production company (www.onthescene.com) headquartered in Los Angeles. I loved the company and the employees who called it home, but my partner and I did not want to grow old “propped up at our desks” as we used to say and so in 2006 we sold the company to investors and I was able to pursue my growing passion for jewelry making.I took my first beading class in 2006 and was hooked!













































After about six months, I realized that I wanted to have a design range that required metalsmithing skills so for the past two years, I have been taking a variety of classes along with book learning and plain old experimentation. I find that I gravitate to techniques that create organic textures. I love to use my rolling mill to imprint grasses, bark and leaves into silver. I figure you just can’t improve upon Mother Nature so why not use it, along with natural gemstones, to create beautiful jewelry!My bucolic studio is perched atop a hill in our backyard. From there I watch squirrels, hummingbirds and spiders go about their business. I can hear the next door neighbor's baby burble and coo. And, as I pass by our vegetable garden, I am able to watch the plants grow almost imperceptibly day by day.I did not imagine even five years ago that I would be making jewelry. Life has a way of taking some unexpected twists and turns. I was never interested in science or chemistry, yet as a jeweler, I am now fascinated by the characteristics of stones and the use of heat to manipulate precious metals. After nearly three decades working in a service industry under tight deadlines, spinning pie plates and huge pressure, I love the peace and solitude of creating a piece of wearable art that is all my own, entirely with my own hands; relying only upon myself to conceive, design, execute and sell. For me, it is a privilege to use the precious metals and stones of the earth to create personal adornments that bring people happiness.

2 comments:

  1. Stunning pieces...so creative...Love you work...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful story. I love to hear of people who make their hobbies a career! The idea of impressing objects from nature into the silver is wonderful. Gorgeous work!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. Have a great day.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Blog List

Fine Gifts ~ Featuring Folk Art by Kerry ~

Edensgiftbaskets.Com - The Gallery of Fine Gifts - As connoisseurs of good taste Edensgiftbaskets.Com delivers beautiful artistic gift baskets, fruit baskets, fresh flowers, baby diaper cakes, bridal shower wedding towel cakes, roses and stunning gift creations nationwide, with everyday free shipping!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map