Thursday, March 25, 2010

Hey, I’ve got cement . . . . I’ve got time. . . .I should try this!!!


Have a peek at Anne's handmade creations from her Etsy shop http://www.etsy.com/shop/EverLastingLeaves.
"These beautiful representations were created with the thought of enhancing your gardens and yards with ornamentation, either nestled amongst the plants for surprise and delight, for use as birdbaths, butterfly feeders or hanging on a fence, wall or shed alone or in groups for a unique decor."

by  EverLasting Leaves
My name is Anne and I make concrete leaves ;)It all started with a leftover bag of mortar and a boring afternoon, then visiting a friends garden I heard 'do you believe the size of those rhubarb?'. I had always wanted to try making concrete leaves and having just recently become unemployed, all of a sudden it hit me. . . ‘Hey, I’ve got cement . . . . I’ve got time. . . .I should try this!!!’

Actually the story is just a bit different, I bought the bag of mortar to fix the chimney and before I even got up on the roof I had made several leaves and had to go buy more mortar to do the chimney before I made more leaves. . . . . lots more leaves.

My buddies said they were all gorgeous and suggested I sell them, so I did.....but I really make concrete leaves more for the love of nature and preserving Mother Natures creations via my creations. I love the rustic, rough and hairy leaves with deep veins rather than the smoother leaves.

Each leaf is cast in cement and sand with feet leveled, wire loops imbedded for hanging and cured for 14 days to strengthen the concrete. A mix of acrylic hues are applied in layered washes to highlight the patterns of veining. A hot application of pure beeswax saturates into the surface of the leaf front and back to give the hues depth and tonality as well as protecting the colors and concrete. I was so glad to discover this sealant as I endeavor to avoid using chemical products.

The learning, development and improving of the process is what most intrigued me, being an engineer by nature. Finding that I had created beautiful works of art just floored me having wanted to be an artist as a kid. The creativity of melding artistry and engineering has been extremely satisfying to me in my 50th year of life, an affirmation of my accumulated skills and the satiation of desires long hidden coming to fruition.


When I am not making leaves I love to read and research, both online and in the library, as I am insatiably curious. I am an avid water gardener playing with both miniature lillys and filtration systems. I have 2 rescued dogs, 12yo Libby the Aussie and 3yo Rascal the Std. Poodle, and we love to run, walk and ski the trails I cut on my 15 acres of land. I love to try and fix almost anything mechanical having rebuilt my 30yo John Deere Lawn & Garden tractor and fixing just about everything that needs it around the house. I also love to sew, knit and make chocolate candy.....I am a renaissance woman and a tomboygirl foreever :)

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful story...it's never to late to find your passion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome woman! Great post, it's nice to have "met" you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing what you can accomplish when you experiment with a new material. Love the leaves, what wonderful pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Those leaves are amazing!:)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. Have a great day.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Blog List

Fine Gifts ~ Featuring Folk Art by Kerry ~

Edensgiftbaskets.Com - The Gallery of Fine Gifts - As connoisseurs of good taste Edensgiftbaskets.Com delivers beautiful artistic gift baskets, fruit baskets, fresh flowers, baby diaper cakes, bridal shower wedding towel cakes, roses and stunning gift creations nationwide, with everyday free shipping!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map